Weight Loss

Still at it, although I had plateaued for the longest time! The secret? I gave up alcohol for Lent!
I don't think that's the only thing, as I have lowered the calories a notch or two, and have added new activities - hiking and contra dancing - to my walking/workout mix. But water instead of alcohol was quite the change for me!
But, since I quit the bottle way back on Ash Wednesday, I have started losing again, and I have now broken through a new threshold - I weigh less than I did three years ago, when I quit going to the gym. I had also plateaued then, and had been unable to break through a certain weight point.
Tallying it all up so far, results for the last 12 months:
Weight Loss: 45 lbs
Waist Inches Lost: 6+
Miles Walked: 975
Cholesterol: 104 (target <200)
Triglycerides: 98
BP: 126/76
So, I guess things are working! However, I really am only getting started, rather than winding down. I plan on losing another 30+ pounds, which I think will be more difficult, but would get me into my target zone. I think the real secret has been lifestyle changes, which I have made slowly, but deliberately: I am more active, have broadened my range of activities and workouts, eating more fresh fruits and veggies, more fish and nuts, less red meat - but a good steak is now my occasional "special"meal, rather than a staple. I also get by on smaller portion sizes.
I did not make these changes overnight, but gradually added them into my routine. I think this method accomplishes several things. The biggest, for me, is a mind-game thing. I always resist sweeping changes. Too overwhelming. If I just keep it simple and gradual, baby steps, I don't notice the changes - then it becomes the routine, the normal, the natural. And you wake up one day, and realize you have changed it all up. It's no longer a chore. And I am comfortable with continuing all my activities for the rest of my life. I think that's profound, and something I could not have said before, when dieting meant getting to a certain weight place, then stop doing what got you there!
The weight loss experts always talk about lifestyle changes, but those are just words when all you want to do is lose weight. But it is the truth - you just have to figure out how to make it work for you. And it requires leaving your old comfort zones and creating new ones.
Be patient, and remember: that which does not kill you really does make you stronger!
And one more thing - new paths seem to be opening. Hard to explain, but wondrous nonetheless!

Comments

sunfeathers said…
Everything you have said is abolutely true!! I think you have/are making a true life-style change!! The water is a big deal. It was very hard for me to "make the switch" but now if I forget to take my 1.5 ltr. bottle to work, I feel I get dehydrated!

You rock!! Keep up the excellent progress you have made!!

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Style...

Ok, so I'll give you an update on my weight loss...

Thank God Election Day Is Almost Here