A Camino in My Future


My wife and I first watched the movie, The Way, several years ago, and immediately fell in love with the idea of walking across Spain once we were both retired. Life has thrown a few obstacles in the way of timing, but it is going to happen this year. I'm not getting any younger!

As an avid walker, I have wanted to do something challenging walking-wise. An acquaintance of mine walked the Appalachian Trail after he retired and that got me thinking, despite the fact that thinking too much usually leads to headaches. But 2,000 miles seemed a little much, especially combined with camping and back-packing. I'm no outdoors-man! So upon learning of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela and that it was only 500 miles and no camping, I knew that was it! I just needed to have the time to do it. Now that I am retired, I got time! And I LOVE to walk!

I'm pretty well committed now, as I have taken the first real step by snagging an awesome air fare deal. Charlotte to Madrid r/t for $384! Sweet! If I back out now, it'll cost me.

So here's the game plan:
I leave on September 3 and fly to Madrid then train to Pamplona and spend the night near the bus station. Next day, bus to my starting point at St. Jean Pied de Port, France, on the eastern slopes of the Pyrenees. I'll walk 10-12 miles per day, with a few 8 mile days and a few 14 mile days, and take Sundays as a rest day. There is quite an infrastructure built around the Camino Frances (one of a number of different Spanish and Portuguese caminos) and plenty of overnight accommodations, known as albergues, similar to hostels. They provide lodging for the many Camino travelers, or "pilgrims" as they are known. I plan to take my time, as it is not a race, but more of a spiritual pilgrimage, as this was the route, or way, that St. James the Apostle took to spread the word of Jesus and the gospel hundreds of years ago. I'll return home on October 31.

It will be an experience of a lifetime. Unfortunately, my wife will not be joining me, but supports my journey. Maybe I can get her to join me on the next one...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Style...

Ok, so I'll give you an update on my weight loss...

Thank God Election Day Is Almost Here