Back Again

But a little less of me. I have been sliding into a weight loss mode lately, and it's starting to have some results. I'm down about 25 lbs. and 4 inches in my waist. I'm nowhere near svelte, but it's a start. I say "sliding" because I'm taking it a baby step at a time.

Back in January, I weighed in at a monstrous lard-ass 312 lbs., (I'm really being honest and open here!) and my 46" waist pants with the 2" extra-stretch waist were maxed out! I went shopping for some new pants, but the only sizes for me were in the Big & Tall department. I found that to be a bit embarrassing. I guess I could blame it all on a divorce, related stresses, blah, blah, but the reality is more calories coming in than going out. It's really that simple. It was time to do something about it. Failure to take corrective steps could not be good.

I decided my first step was to start reducing my portion size. A quick retrospection of my eating habits was no so much what I was eating, but the massive quantities I consumed when I did eat. It was a bigger struggle than I thought, because for years my eyes have been programmed for excess. But I stuck with it, and began to find I could satisfy my stomach with half as much. Baby steps. Rather than buying a gallon of ice cream or a package of cookies - either of which I could polish off with minimum effort - I bought a box of ice cream sandwiches and Little Debbie individually-packaged Oatmeal Creme cookies. So, rather than a big bowl of ice cream or a third of a package of cookies, I would get a ice cream sandwich or a single cookie. Portion control. Little steps.

There's a fellow in my neighborhood whom I've frequently seen walking over the last couple of years, and I had noticed he had shrunk over time. Plus, he is in his early 70's, so I figured if he could do it, a young feller like me should have no difficulty. So I began walking in late March, starting out with the recommended minimum of 30 minutes. Baby steps. After about a week I pushed it up to an hour, covering about 3.5 miles. I live in a great area for walking - five different subdivisions, all connected, good amount of hilliness, and all wrapped around a golf course - so there are a lot of variations to my route. Equipped with a good quality pedometer and FM radio, I hit the road 4 or 5 times a week. My longest route so far was last Sunday, when I did 8 miles, and my "average" evening walk is now about 4.5 miles. That has really helped the pounds go.

I find it is easier for me to walk in the evening. I used to get home after work, fix some dinner, then park my butt in front of the TV. Now when I get home, I feed the catz, do 15 minutes of chores, walk for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, fix some dinner, then park my butt in front of the TV. But with a whole lot less guilt!

So, after two-plus months of walking/portion control, I am starting to see some results.

I'm also starting to examine what I eat more closely. Baby steps. I now have a salad for lunch and fish for dinner at least twice a week. I'm not yet counting calories, but I also don't want to get too anal about it. Just more calories out than in. Generally. My weight will show it if I am doing it right.

I'll keep you posted as I waste away to nothing. Or down to 200 lbs. Whichever comes first!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Style...

Ok, so I'll give you an update on my weight loss...

Thank God Election Day Is Almost Here