So, how goes the weight loss, you ask?

It's sucking right now! In a word - plateau. I am still sticking to my walking program - over 115 miles in July - and limit my calories to 2,000 - 2,500 a day, but the scale has stuck!
However, I was expecting it, as my 75 year old fellow walking mentor, Don - the guy in my neighborhood who inspired my to get off my butt - had warned me he went through stages where there would be no weight loss, despite his efforts. (It took him 18 months to shed 60 pounds.) This seems to be supported by articles I've read on line.
It seems that once you lose about 10% of your body weight, your body takes notice, and begins to try to maintain the status quo. This is logical, as eons of evolution has hard-wired into us a defense mechanism to avoid starvation. Unfortunately our bodies are still stuck in the olden days, when monster-burgers and planet-sized fries were undreamt of.

But I trudge on and stay on the plan. After all, it's only been about 4 months, and it took 20 years to develop this fine corporal specimen! While the scale may not show progress, walking is definitely not a bad thing, and I enjoy doing it!
To shake things up, I think I'll start doing a little cross-training on my Nordic Trac, but I need to fix it up in front of the TV or something like that so I don't get bored just staring at the wall.
With all the walking, I've gotten a little behind on housework, so rather than walking first thing when I get home, I have started vacuuming or cleaning one room before I hit the road. So, over the last week or so, I've just about cleaned the whole house. Another little step. With added benefit. Now, when I'm done with the chores and walking, I can fix myself something for dinner, then park my butt in front of the TV and watch the Olympics. Guilt free! Life is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Style...

Ok, so I'll give you an update on my weight loss...

Thank God Election Day Is Almost Here