Still here...

but I've been busy evenings sorting through the pile of pictures and old letters that my Aunt Shirley gave me on my last visit, as well as working on posting names and dates into a family tree website.
This family tree thing has been extremely interesting, especially as I've never been much of a history buff, though this is different. Based on the information I've received from cousins on my mom's side of the family, our great-grandmother's line can be traced back to pre-1700 France, while our great-grandfather's lineage goes back to Charleston, SC in the early 1800's. There's lots of ancestry around Natchitoches, LA, and along the banks of the Cane River - perhaps that's why I have always been drawn back to that area. And to top it off, our family bible is safely stored in the library of Northwestern (LA) State University!
Not much info on my maternal grandfather's side, who was born in KY not far from Bowling Green. That might necessitate a visit, especially since it's near the Corvette plant.
On my father's side, I've spent several hours transcribing one of the letters provided by Aunt Shirley. It dates around 1936 and was written in pencil, making it hard to read, especially on the folds. It's 9 pages long and has a lot of family data, although without many dates, but it has been a hoot to read. By transcribing it, it's both easier to read and to interpret some colloquial wording. It mentions uncles who were in the Civil War, and their ranks, and other family members who were considered "tetched". Causes of death included tuberculosis, "bloody flux", and runaway train! Another, much-later letter dated Feb. 2, 1951, included a reference to me as "Junior", as my parents were expecting at the time, and the writer was wishing them luck with Junior!
I have just touched the surface on this family project. As I had begun to look into it, I figured that it would either bore me fairly quickly, or pull me in deep. I'm thinking it could be the latter. Other family members have provided bits and pieces of information, but it needs to be accumulated, sorted and organized, then published for everyone's information and benefit.
Perhaps that is my new calling...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless Style...

Ok, so I'll give you an update on my weight loss...

Thank God Election Day Is Almost Here